Joseph Parker vs Andy Ruiz Jr - Highlights (Parker Makes HISTORY)
- #josephparker #andyruizjr #parkervsruizhighlights
** NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED **
Support me on PayPal - www.paypal.me/jeffjacksonboxing
Support me on Patreon - www.patreon.com/jeffjacksonboxing
December 10th, 2016. Billed as "History", Joseph Parker also known by his Honorary Samoan matai title "Lupesoliai La'auli" takes on "The Destroyer" Andy Ruiz Jr. This bout is billed as such, as there has never been a New Zealander nor Mexican fighter to ever win any version of the World Heavyweight Championship. Thus, either winner would make history for their respective country in one of the most anticipated sporting events in the history of New Zealand and Mexican boxing.
Parker and Ruiz are two young, undefeated heavyweights with records of 21(18)-0 & 29(19)-0 respectively. Both fighting in their first world title bout; for the vacant WBO World Heavyweight Crown.
The 2 most notable New Zealander heavyweights to fight in a world heavyweight title bout are:
1) Tom Heeney, who challenged the great Gene Tunney on July 26th, 1928 for the World Heavyweight Title and lost via TKO11 in a valiant effort.
2) David Tua, who challenged the legendary Lennox Lewis on November 11th, 2000 for the WBC, IBF, IBO, and Lineal Heavyweight Titles; losing via a lopsided UD in what was considered a huge letdown for his fellow countrymen.
The 2 most notable Mexican heavyweights to fight in a world heavyweight title bout are:
1) Manuel Ramos, who challenged the legendary Smokin’ Joe Frazier on Jun 24th, 1968 for the NYSAC World Heavyweight Title and lost via TKO2 in a non stop action bout.
2) Chris Arreola, who challenged for the WBC strap in 3 different occasions;
- September 26th, 2009. Lost to Vitali Klitschko via RTD10.
- May 10th,2014. Lost to Bermane Stiverne via TKO6.
- July 16th, 2016. Lost to Deontay Wilder via RTD8.
Going into the bout, Parker had notable wins over Alexander Dimitrenko & Carlos Takam while Ruiz had beaten former world title contender Ray Austin.
Ruiz won most of the early and arguably mid rounds, with Parker coming on stronger from the mid to the late rounds as the competition becomes more intense with the scorecards seemingly narrowing. Some very good exchanges took place particularly in the second half.
The verdict was a MD with scores of 115-113 (2x) & 114-114 in favor of the hometown favorite, Parker who became the first New Zealander in history to become World Heavyweight Champion. The decision has been disputed by many, who believe that Ruiz had won the majority of the rounds.
Nonetheless, it was a competitive fight by two young, hungry and undefeated heavyweights!
Joseph Parker had since made 2 successful defenses of his WBO strap notable an MD win over Hughie Fury in September 2017. He’s scheduled to take on the also undefeated Anthony Joshua who is now 20(20)-0 this coming March 31st.
What’s your prediction? Let me know in the comments!
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE.